Friday, January 2, 2009

Slipped Into Neutral...

I was supposed to get slipped into neutral tomorrow, but my mommy kept getting this really bad feeling about the whole thing. So she consulted "The Bone Zone" and Mango's Mommy & Rocky's Mommy both told my mommy it would be best to rethink things. So, I would like to thank both Mango & Rocky's Mommy's for helping my mommy make this decision.

As you all know, every time I get my vaccines I have a allergic reaction so i have to be given Benadryl and an additional injection to counter act the reaction(s) that i have to the vaccines. My vet didn’t even talk to my mommy about a $35 blood test to make sure that i am healthy enough on the inside. This $35 blood test ultimately could be a matter of life and death. My mommy just kept feeling more and more that my vet has made too many errors with me already and didn’t feel that he was competent that he would take good care of me during surgery especially with anesthesia and me being only 2.8 pounds.

So, my mommy called my vet and started asking questions such as why she was not told about this blood test and they could not give her a good answer so she told them that they were all a bunch of incompetent fools and cancelled my surgery to get slipped into neutral.

Poppy The Little Blond Chihuahua's mommy was kind enough to refer us to her vet’s office and that is where I will go from now on for all my doctors visits. So, Mommy made an appointment for me to get slipped into neutral on 1/30! The nice lady who answered the phone took the time to answer all of my mommy's questions and was VERY friendly and made my mommy feel comfortable. She took the time to explain to my mommy that they are used to working with small dogs my size and even suggested that my mommy that it was ok for her to wait until the end of the month to see if I gain any more weight. Mommy is just hoping that I don’t go into heat in the next 4 weeks!

So, I’m not thrilled about having to have surgery to get slipped into neutral, but I am happy that my mommy found me a good new vet thanks to the help of Poppy!

Till next time...Enjoying being intact,

Coco - the Princess

7 comments:

Lacy said...

w00f's Coco, me iz glad u mommy changed her mind....dont sound like the other vet knew to much...or mayb it wuz cared to much..and we no here it is a life and death matter, and esp with u and ur reaction to the shots already...happy poppys mommy could help u find a good vet that cares...

b safe,
~rocky~

Isis said...

Sister's friend has a chihuahua that is only 2.8lbs. And he was neutered just fine. Did you get my info about the bloodwork? I did write you a while ago to tell you all about it and why you should do it.

You should be just fine- but i understand, sister would be worried if i was really tiny too. Sheesh, i had a tooth removed a year ago, (i'm 7 years old!) and she was still worried about me just because i'm her baby!

Sunny,Scooter,Jamie said...

Oh my Coco. Mom gasped when she read that your old vet didn't even mention the blood panel to you!! ($35?? it is $85 here..)We are very glad you have a new vet. Little Coco has to be taken care of properly!! Happy New Year to you and your mommy.
Hugs
Sunny&Scooter

Anonymous said...

Hi Coco's Mom,

I have been reading your blog for a month now and REALLY enjoy it.

I also have small Chi females. I wanted to CONGRATULATE you on listening to your intuition in regards to Coco's now former vet. You may have saved her precious little life! Because of her tiny size consider waiting until she is 6 months old for her spay. It is really no big deal for her to come into heat once, if you are able to get some weight on her. Because my girls (3.2 lbs and 4 lbs as adults) are as small as Coco, they did not come into heat at 6 months of age and I waited until they were 6 months old before they were spayed.

Also my little ones are allergic to their vacacines and instead they receive "DHLPP without the L" the Lepto is usually the cause of the alergic reaction. One last thing if your Vet insists that Coco have the full DHLPP then by all means ask for Coco to receive pre-treatment for the allergic reaction. Each time Coco goes through an allergic reaction it takes a toll on her little body and should be avoided at all cost.

Enjoying your blog and LOVE the pics of Coco!

Chi's Rule,
Dee

Mary said...

I worry about this, too. With our dogs being so tiny, it worries me to no end whenever I think about surgery and anesthesia. I am glad to hear you found a vet you feel comfortable with!

Shall I send The Canine Mafia to pay a little visit to the old vet? ;-)

Lorenza said...

Hi, Coco!
Sure is nice that your mom found a good vet. It is very important that you trust him/her.
I am sure everything is going to be ok!
Take care
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Sharon said...

I'm glad to hear you have a new, better vet! Although I have a little boy, I've also heard some of the things Dee said- waiting is not a bad idea, for weight's sake- and also because it's sometimes good for girlie dogs to go through one heat cycle because it releases chemicals in their body that are good for them later.
I don't know a whole lot about it, but you have until the end of the month to read up!

<3 Sharon and Dobbs